Welcome to Pottstown Pennsylvania Real
Estate and General Information
Incorporated in 1815, Pottstown is a borough located in Montgomery County Pennsylvania, United States. Pottstown has a growing population of 21,859 and is conveniently situated only 40 miles from Philadelphia. The borough encompasses 4.9 square miles and is a part of a predominant farming area.
For detailed information on current real estate market conditions and knowledgeable service in the Pottstown, Pennsylvania real estate market, contact Greg Herb directly. You can also check the bottom of this page for listings in the Pottstown area.
Higher education in Pottstown can be found at the Montgomery County Community College (West Campus) and Antonelli Medical and Professional Institute. A variety of other institutes within 30 miles include Immaculata College, Kutztown University of Pennsylvania, West Chester University of Pennsylvania, Eastern College, Pennsylvania State University-Penn State Berks and Villanova University. Local students are included as part of the Pottstown School District. A few of the larger public schools include Owen J Roberts High, Pottstown Senior High, Owen J Robert Middle School, Pottstown Middle and Ringing Rocks Elementary. The larger private schools include St. Pius X High School, the Hill School, St Aloysius Elementary School and Coventry Christian Schools INC.
Pottstown is full of attractions. Check out the Pottstown Symphony Orchestra, Pottsgrove Manor or even Manatawny Park. The Pottstown YMCA is a popular spot for recreation. This organization offers facilities including an indoor pool, a running track, a fitness center, racquetball courts, and two gyms. If golf's your sport, you're in luck. Pottstown has multiple courses for every level of golfer. The Brookside Country Club is a private 18 hole course with a par of 72. It is located on Adams & Prospects Streets. Other clubs include the Bellewood Golf Club, Raven's Claw Golf Club and Linfield National Golf Club.
History of Pottstown
The Potts family, who were iron masters, moved to this area and established a forge here.
The Potts home was a showplace on a small hill just west of town.
John Potts, the oldest son of Thomas Potts, purchased nine hundred ninety-five acres in the area and in 1752 Pottstown was founded. When the town was first laid out, it stretched from York Street to Charlotte Street and from the Schuylkill River to Beech Street.
Before 1800, the village was called Pottsgrove, however, as the population increased, this slowly evolved into Pottstown. On February 6, 1815, this area was incorporated as a Borough, the second Borough formed in the county, Norristown being the first. The first election of town officers was held in April of 1815.
Soon after 1842, the Reading Railroad completed a series of lines from Philadelphia to Mt. Carbon, near Pottsville. Raw materials and coal were moved easily, and markets were more readily accessible. At this time, the population of the Borough was six hundred. Since the first forge, Pottstown has received much recognition in the metal industries. The most significant projects include the locks for the Panama Canal and the Golden Gate Bridge.
In 1847 the town was divided into two wards. By 1850 the population of the Borough reached a total of one thousand eight hundred fifty. As the town grew, new wards were added and old ones were divided. By 1893 the Borough had ten wards represented by twenty councilmen, two from each ward. Borough Council continued to function as one of the largest municipal representative bodies in Pennsylvania. In 1964 the number of wards was reduced to seven, with one councilman representing each ward.
In 1944, the Council-Manager form of government was adopted; administrative responsibility for the operation of the Borough was given to a professional Manager. The Borough has had ten Managers since the position was created.
For more information visit http://www.pottstown.org
Tax information can be obtained by going to: http://www.montcopa.org
|2500 E. High Street / Suite 700 / Pottstown, Pennsylvania 19464 / Phone: 610.327.0900 / Fax: 610.327.9600
1036 E. Philadelphia Avenue / Gilbertsville, Pennsylvania 19525 / Phone: 610.369.7004 / Fax: 610.369.7002
Real Estate Websites Powered By WebMax Communications